Construction of Wooden Carport. Free Car Port PDF Plans
If you are planning to build a Carport to store your vehicle, tractor, etc,
our 12'x24' Free PDF car port plan should provide a good idea how to build a
wooden carport yourself. There are many places where you can purchase
steel frame carport kits, but on this page we would like to show you how to
build a wood carport using post-frame construction technique. Even though,
we only show prints for a 12'x24' carport, you should be able to build any other
size you want following the same technique.
Since a regular carport does not have any sides, it must be designed to
withstand stronger uplift wind loads. That's why, when building a carport,
you need to use proper bracing and hurricane ties or blocks. After
all, you don't want to have your newly built carport collapsed from the first
Sample Carport Image & Print
Building 12'x24' Wooden Carport
- Find a level spot to build your carport on (or grade it to
make it level).
- Mark all of your post locations and dig 48" deep holes
approximately 12" - 16" in diameter.
- Mix and dump one bag of sascrete/cement in each hole.
Wait until cement hardens.
- Take pressure treated 6x6 posts and place one post in each
hole. Measure, level and temporary secure all posts.
- Determine required headroom and mark the location of wall
header on each post. If you need more or less of headroom, adjust the post
length (get shorter of longer posts). Note: If you are planning to pour
concrete slab, add thickness of slab to headroom measurement.
- Attach 2x10 header on each side of post. Re-measure to
make sure you have exactly 12' from outside to outside of headers. Adjust
and secure if needed.
- Mark truss locations every 24", fasten 2x6 blocks between
headers to fasten trusses into.
- Set up trusses, attach Y-braces and kneewall braces and build
- Finish the roof and gables (see assembly images and PDF plans)